Mar 06

Kitchen Remodel

We bought a house with these great travertine tile floors, but unfortunately the subfloor isn’t cut out for tile. At least half of the tiles are cracked. We also had a refrigerator that barely fit in its space, so here’s the plan:

  1. Lose the cabinet above the fridge – we don’t use it anyhow.
  2. Move pantry into the corner where the fridge was.
  3. Remove the tile, replace with bamboo.
  4. Replace tile in front of back door.
  5. While we’re at it, replace the 15 year old fridge and the sub par dishwasher.

Step 1&2: remove cabinet; relocate pantry.

Step 3: Tile removal isn’t horribly slow… They used a LOT of mortar, but it’s got 1/4″ hardiboard under it. They went crazy with the screws. In about 2 hours, I removed almost half of it!

So in a weekend I got it all ripped out, and then I began the bamboo laying:

And this is where things stood until the 12th, due to work and birthdays.

Then I managed to get the remainder laid, although that took until the next weekend, really.

Step 4: Replacing the tile in front of the back door wasn’t so bad, but like the rest of the house, the subfloor had a little too much movement for my tastes. I decided to remove the subfloor and sister some 2×4 lumber to each joist as a stiffener, and then replace the subfloor with some modern OSB subfloor.

view looking from the back deck



view from the kitchen

Now, I forgot to get a picture of the nice new OSB subfloor, but I did get a shot of the ditra underlayment and the tile laying process.

underlayment



test fitting



first batch of mortar



final pieces

Step 5 actually happened before the tile laying… I had to panic and install much of the bamboo to beat the appliance delivery, but I made it with an hour or two to spare!

French door fridges look like they want to hug you!



New, silent dishwasher



Philip approves!

Dec 25

Christmas Dessert

We made a Bûche de Noël for Christmas dinner. A rib roast will be the main coarse.

Sep 01

Archery Backstop

The boy wanted to unleash his inner Katniss again, and I was tired of buying hay every could of months, so instead I spent $23 on some 4x4s and chain, and I made what I hope will be a good hay substitute. I also used some left over floorboard, carpet, shingles and 2x4s.

Hopefully 2 layers of fairly loose carpet can stop a youth arrow, and hopefully the kids can hit a 4×8′ target.

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

The plan is that they can roll the carpet up using the rope that the target hangs from, and the roof will keep the carpet dry enough.

There was also a screwy, crooked tree in the way, so I had to cut it down.

IMG_2371.JPG

Older posts «